Surah Al-Baqara – Verses 178 to 203 English Translation
ALLAH in the name of The Most Affectionate, the Merciful.
- O, believers: It is obligatory upon you to take retaliation of the blood of those who are killed innocently, the. Free for free and the slave for slave and woman for woman. Then as for him who is forgiven something by his brother, there should be demand for payment with kindness and the payment be made satisfactorily well. This is to ease your burden from your Lord and a mercy upon you. Then after this one who transgresses for him there is painful torment.
- And there is life for you in retaliating for blood, O men of understanding! So that you may save yourselves.
- Made obligatory on you that when death approaches any of you, if he leaves some property, then he should make a will for his parents and near relatives according to usage. This is an obligation on those who fear God.
- Then who so changes the will after hearing, the sin thereof is only on those who change it. No doubt, Allah knows and hears.
- Then who feared, that the testator has done certain injustice or sin, then he made peace between them, there
is no sin for him no doubt Allah is Forgiving Merciful.
- O Believers! Fasting have been made obligatory upon you as were made obligatory upon those before you, so that you may become pious.
- The days are counted. Then who so among you is ill or on a journey then same number of fasting in other days, and those who have no strength, they should give in ransom meal to a needy: then who so does more good voluntarily, then that is better for him, and fasting is better for you if you know.
- The month of Ramzan in which Quran was sent down, the direction for the people and guidance and clear signs of judgement; that whoso of you finds this month, necessarily, he should fast in it, and whoso is ill or on a journey then same number of fasting in other days; Allah desires facility for you and desires not hardship and for this, that you should complete the counting and speak of the Greatness of Allah, as He guided you and so that you may be grateful.
- And O beloved, when My bondsmen ask you about Me, then I am indeed near, accept the call of the caller when he calls upon Me; then they should obey My Commands and believe in Me, so that they may get the way.
- It was made lawful for you to go near your women in the nights of fasting. They are your garments and you are their garments. Allah know that you used to put your souls in defalcation, then He accepted your repentance and pardoned you; then now copulate (Intercourse) with them and seek what Allah has written in your destiny and eat and drink until white thread becomes distinct to you from the black thread at the dawn; then complete the fasts till coming of night, and do not touch the women when you remain in the mosques, for devotion. These are the limits of Allah, do not approach them. Allah thus describes His Signs to the people, so that they may become pious.
- And do not eat up unjustly the property of each other among yourselves and nor’ convey their cases to the authorities for devouring unlawfully some portion of the property of the people knowingly.
- They ask you about the new moons. Say you, ‘They are the signs of time for the people and pilgrimage (Haj). And it is no virtue that you enter your houses by the backs thereof, yes, the virtue is piety, so come in houses by their doors and fear Allah in the hope that you may get prosperity.
- And fight in the way of Allah, those who fight against you and do not transgress, Allah does not love the transgressors.
- And kill the infidels wherever you find and turn them out from the place where from they turned you out; and their mischief is more grievous than killing. And if they fight them near the sacred mosque unless they fight you therein, and they fight against you then kill, them. This is the only punishment of infidels.
- Then if they desist, then no doubt, Allah is Forgiving Merciful.
- And fight them until there is no mischief and be there worship of one Allah, then if they desist, there is no violence save against oppressors.
- There is forbidden month in exchange of forbidden month and elegant manner in exchange of elegant manner Whoso does violence against you, do violence against him in the same measure as he did, and remain tearing Allah and know that Allah is with the God-fearing.
- And spend in the way of Allah, and cast not yourself in destruction with your hand and be good-doers; no doubt! Good doers are the beloveds of Allah.
- And fulfil the Haj and Umra for Allah. Then if you are prevented, send sacrifice which you may get easily and shave not your heads, unless the sacrifice reaches its destination; Then whoso is ill of you or there is some ailment in his head, then he should keep fast in exchange or give alms or sacrifice, then when you are at ease, then whoso takes advantage by combining Umra with Haj, on him there is sacrifice which may be obtained easily. Then whoso cannot afford. He should fast for three days during Haj and seven days when he returns back home, these are ten days complete. This Command is for him who is not the dweller of Mecca and remains fearing to Allah and knows that the torment of Allah is severe.
- The months of Haj are known; then whoso determines to perform Haj in these months, then there should be no mention of Copulation before women nor any sin nor quarrelling with anyone till the time of Haj; and whatever good you do, Allah knows it. And take necessary provision with you, the best provision is piety and remain fearing Me, O Men of under standing!
- There is no sin unto you that you seek the bounty of your Lord. Then when you return back from ‘Arafat’ remembers Allah near Mashhare-Haram (Qazah Mountain) and remembers Him as He guided you and no doubt, you had gone astray before.
- Then the thing is this that O Men of Quraish, you also return back from the same place whence the people return back and seek forgiveness from Allah: no doubt Allah is Forgiving Merciful.
- Then when you have completed the acts of Haj, remember Allah as you used to remember your fathers, but more than that, and some one says like this, ‘O our Lord give us in the world and there is no share of him in the Hereafter.
- And someone says like this, ‘O our Lord give us good in the world and give us good in the Hereafter and save us from the torment of the Hell
- To such people there is share from their earning and Allah is swift at reckoning.
- And remember Allah during Numbered days. Then whoso hastens to leave in two days; there is no sin unto him and whoso stays behind, then on him is no sin for the God fearing, and remain fearing God and know that you have to be raised unto Him.