Surah Al-Baqara – Verses 275 to 286 English Translation
ALLAH in the name of The Most Affectionate, the Merciful.
- Those who devour interest shall not stand on the Day of judgement, but like the standing of one whom the evil spirit has by touching made mad. This is because they said ‘The trade too is like interest,’ and Allah made trade lawful and made interest unlawful. So he, who received admonition from his Lord and refrained, then whatever he took before is lawful to him, and his affair is with Allah. And now whoever shall commit such. Fault, they are men of hell, they will live therein for longer period.
- Allah destroys interest and increases charity and Allah loves not any ungrateful big sinner.
- No doubt, those who accepted faith and did good deeds and established prayer and paid the Zakat, (poor-due) their reward is with their Lord and there is neither any fear nor any grief to them.
- O Believers! Fear Allah and leave what remains of interest if you are Muslims.
- But if you do not do like this, then be sure of war from Allah and the Messenger of Allah. And if you repent then take your principal sums, neither you wrong any one nor be wronged yourselves.
- And if the debtor is a man in hardship then give him time till it is easy, and to remit the debt fully is better for you if you know.
- And fear the day in which you shall be made to return to Allah and shall every soul be paid in full what it has earned and they shall not be wronged.
- O Believers! When you enter in the transaction of any debt for a fixed period, then write it down. And a scribe should write between you justly; and the scribe should not refuse to write as he has been taught by Allah, then he should write and let him on whom. The liability falls dictate and fear Allah Who is his Lord and leaves not
behind something out of the liability. Then again he on whom liability falls be of low understanding or be weak or be unable to dictate; then let his guardian dictate justly. And make two witnesses from among your men, then if two men be not available then a man and two women such witnesses, as you like, so that either of the two women errs in memory, then the other may remind to that one. And when the witnesses are called, they should not refuse to come. And do not take it as a burden, the liability be it small or big, write it down along with its fixed period. It is juster in the sight of Allah, in it the evidence will be more suitable and it is nearer to it that you may not be in doubt; save a ready merchandise which you give or take from hand to hand, there is no sin on you, if you write it not. And when you trade, make witnesses. And neither any scribe be harmed nor the witness (or neither the scribe do harm nor the witness). And if you do such then it would be your insubordination. And fear Allah and Allah teaches you and Allah knows everything.
- And if you are on a journey, and you find not a scribe then let there be pledge with possession. And if in between you one entrusts the other, then let he whom he trusted deliver his trust and fear Allah Who is his Lord and conceal not evidence; and whosoever would conceal evidence, then his heart is sinful from inside, and Allah knows your deeds.
- To Allah belongs what” ever is in the heaven and whatever is in the earth; and if you disclose whatever is in your heart or keep it hidden, Allah will call you to account for it; then He will forgive whomsoever He pleases and punish whomsoever He pleases, and Allah is Potent over every thing.
- The Messenger believed in that which was sent down to him from his Lord and the believers all accepted Allah and His angels and His Books and His messengers saying this, ‘that we do not differentiate in the matter of having faith in any of His messengers’ and submitted that we heard and obeyed. Let there be your forgiveness, O our Lord! And to you is our return.
- Allah places not burden on any soul but to the extent of his strength whatever good it earned is useful for it and whatever bad it earned is a loss for it. O our Lord! Catch not us if we forget or miss the mark! O our Lord! And place not heavy burden on us as you had placed on those before us. O our Lord! Put not that burden on us of which we have no strength to bear! And pardon us and forgive and have mercy on us. You are our Master; then help us against the infidels.